Monday, August 25, 2008

{bReAthe}

Sometimes I think I just move along on auto-pilot and that seems to be ok. I'm busy with the normal glorified chauffeur duties and such, but all of a sudden I feel like I've been thrust into outer space at warp speed!

I don't feel overwhelmed ... just really busy. There is so much to think about and do.

I'm still training for a marathon. 2 weekends ago I thought I was going to have to find a different marathon to do. I am running the Nike Womens Marathon in support of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The concept goes ... I raise money for LLS and that gets me entry into this race. I had a deadline to raise a certain amount of money by Friday, 2 weekends ago, and I had come up short. I cried all weekend, because I really wanted to run this particular marathon. I don't plan on running another marathon and if I am only going to do one, this is the one I want to do. Sometime after Friday, but before Monday, my father-in-law donated the amount of money I needed to hit my minimum. At this point I had thought I was already out of the race and then had mixed feelings about whether I wanted to try and continue. The hardest part of all of this is raising the money and I'm only a quarter of the way there. I talked with the Team in Training staff on Monday and they were more than happy to keep me in! Of course, this is what I wanted so I'm sticking with it. We had a yard sale to raise money this past Saturday.
School started ... hooray for me!!! I can have my computer back and maybe a little peace and quiet! So far everyone seems happy about school. Keyan is in a class that mixes 4 classes into an all day adventure. They go out in nature and do activities, have class, etc. Today they are going to the ropes course. To me it just sounds like a lot of fun. Sammy is loving not being in Elementary school ... so many new friends (cute boys!) ... and enough different classes to keep her from being bored. Landon and Ally are so happy to just hop the fence and be at school. Ally was a little worried when we first went to the school to see what class she was in because she saw that her teacher was a MR. She didn't want a boy teacher. However, we met him on back to school night and she found out that he loves Hawaii and has a son going to the Philippines on a mission so now she thinks he's ok! This new school voted to have a PTA instead of a PTO, so now I'm also on the PTA board. That could be interesting. (pic: Ally & Landon 1st day of school)

Young Women's has been quite the adjustment. There are so many meetings and things to do. Hopefully I'll get to know the girls quickly. I think that will make the transition a whole lot easier! Eventually Sam might even like that I'm in there!!! (pic: my 1st activity, the Sunday after I was sustained was a trip to Temple Square)

Politics - this is going to be an exciting election! It's funny to think that no matter what the outcome nearly half of the U.S. voting population will be upset over it. I'm the precinct chair for my neighborhood and I'm starting to get a ton of email from the candidates. I'm guessing that after the party conventions that campaigning will become a big priority.

3 comments:

camran said...

Christy! So great to have found your blog and to catch up on what is going on in your life! Where to start ... where are you living now? Good luck on your marathon training and race - I'm running St. George in October. LOVED your posts about Hawaii, Andy and I are suppose to be going in November ;) And congrats/good luck/deepest condolences on your calling!! :) I can say all those things because I too am the YW President! Just finished up my 2nd year - and they still want me! I try to blog - try being the operative word ... I'm not the best, but keep an eye on me and I might just update it once in a while! Hope to talk to you soon! Camie

Heather said...

I just wanted to say that you're great, Christy. I'm glad you get to run your marathon!

david@gommstudios.com said...

Sorry we didn't donate sooner, so that that weekend of concern didn't have to happen.

I think the Young Womens organization is one of the most important places you can be involved.

Jeanne says the secret is to surround yourself with other good leaders.

Glimpses of Us!