Tuesday, May 13, 2008

{eLecTed oFFicials}

So our home developer has decided that he is going to turn over the common space to us, the residence, in the form of an HOA (home owners association). We hadn't had any HOA involvement (meetings, fees, etc). We had apparently signed papers when we closed on our house that we would be part of the HOA. So as much as we don't want it, we knew it was probably coming some time soon. So the neighborhood quickly had a meeting to elect officers so there would be someone to turn the land over to.
It's dumb that the developer didn't have people start paying HOA fees when they moved in, some have been here for about 8 years. Beside that, we have other problems. There is a large green space area. The first couple of phases were promised a park, with playground equipment. We were in the last phase and they had abandoned that idea completely. So they seeded the area and it's just a bunch of grass with some trees, some that are dead, others that are dying. The grass space is mostly fine except for the fact that there are standing pools of water all over it. I'm sure it had to of been winter when the city came and inspected it, because there is no way it would of passed if they saw it in the state it's in now. So we have 2 days until the developer wants to hand it over to the HOA. Now I think this is ridiculous. Since there is no money for the HOA, I think he should have to fix this problem that technically is still his. Mostly I don't want to be walked all over and have this dump (OK, it's not a dump) handed to us so we can fix it.
So I went to the city (community development). Unfortunately they already released his bond at the beginning of the month, hence his quickly wanting to give us the land. But they referred me to some other people. They haven't gotten back with me. I asked some of my neighbors to give me a list and take pictures of the problem areas. I don't live next to it and never use it, so I didn't really know. The HOA president quickly put the pictures and a map of the park area, marking all the problem areas, online. So now I'm wondering what else we could do. Oh ... I forgot to mention that I talked with an attorney, just in passing, since we were at the same meeting. It's not that I want to sue him I just want to know what our rights are and what his responsibilities are.
Today I was cleaning up my stuff from the state convention that I went to and I thought when people have problems they always turn to their elected officials. I emailed my mayor and city council member. Within a short amount of time they both had passed the information on and are having people (that no one else had told me about) look into it. It's amazing what can be done with a little bit of work and lots of communication.

I don't know that anything will be done, but at least I can say that I tried. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

1 comment:

david@gommstudios.com said...

There are so many ridiculous, cover your butt kinds of paper work they have us sign at closing that anything and everything can slip by.

Oh No! Did I read that lead paint discloure that only applies to older homes built before 1965.

I'm sure you'll be great at the Home Owners meetings!

Glimpses of Us!