Thursday, July 24, 2008

{Hawaii Day 3}


We stopped off at a few lookout points on the windward side of the Island on our way to Kailua. We also stopped at Sandy Beach (they call it Break Neck Beach since the waves crash right on the beach) and watched the Blow Hole.

We ate breakfast in Kailua. We chatted with a guy a few tables over from us who was a member of our church. He was nice and volunteered a map and kayaks for our use. We already had access to both of those things, but he was nice to offer anyway.

We went to the Valley of the Temples and saw the Byodo-In Temple.

Then we went kayaking in Kailua Bay. This was one of the highlights of my trip. We kayaked out to Flat Island and then to one of the Moku Lua Islands. Then we kayaked to Lanikai Beach, then back to Kailua Beach. So it's one thing to kayak down a river, it's a whole different story to kayak in the ocean. We went over a huge coral reef that we were suppose to avoid and to think that there are sharks in the ocean! I loved it though. (The first picture is of the beached kayaks on Flat Island. The second picture is from Flat Island looking at the Moku Lua Islands. We kayaked to the Island on the left).

That night we went to the home of my grandfather's nephew (I'm not good at the relationship calculators), Jun Abinsay. He was a State Representative for over 10 years, retiring 2 years ago. Now they (wife - Beth and daughters - Hazel and Amber) live in an amazing new house up on the hill. We met over 20 relatives that night, most I'd never met before. I've only been to Hawaii once before when I was 8 years old. I was the flower girl in my auntie Wilma's wedding. I am so glad that Jo-Jo (Cesar Jr.) was able to get me in touch with my relatives out there. Meeting all of them and spending time the rest of the week with them was the best part of the entire trip.

1 comment:

Lynette in Delaware said...

wow...spectacular....awesome....
beautiful....did I say WOW!

Looks like an incredible Hope the rest of your trip is as exciting as the first!
Lynette

Glimpses of Us!